16" central machinery/harbor freight planer needs manual/parts - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 36 Old 10-17-2010, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

View greg4269ub's Photo Album My Photos
16" central machinery/harbor freight planer needs manual/parts

I recently bought a 16" central machinery planer sold by harbor freight. The person i bought it from didn't have the manual i was wondering if any one knows where i can get a manual and parts for the machine. i have checked the harbor freight site with no luck. the model number is T-39775 the serial number is 4303489. the machine works but in the process of bringing it home my tie downs slipped and the thing fell over in the truck and bent the out feed roller so i will need an new one.

Another issue it has is an unsteady feed. once i got it home and inspected it more i discovered that the drive chain seems to be loose for the feed rollers. On top of that the feed rollers leave small teeth marks in the lumber. Is there possibly a way I can swap out the out feed roller with a rubberized one?

Thanks in advance for the help

Greg

Treecycle Hardwoods Saving Gods creations since summer of 2009.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 10-17-2010, 11:59 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
U R sure?

A 16" planner is a new commercial size. As far as I can tell it's either very old Central Machine started in 1968, or the size is 15" not 16" or the model number is incorrect and that's why nothing shows up. A photo of the thing would help and the model name plate if possible. Good Luck on this one Greg... bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
post #3 of 36 Old 10-17-2010, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

here are some pics of the planer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00017-20101017-1112.jpg
Views:	1763
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	17422  

Name:	IMG00018-20101017-1245.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	17423  

Name:	IMG00019-20101017-1246.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	17424  

post #4 of 36 Old 10-17-2010, 09:04 PM
where's my table saw?

Greg I found this

Google Central Purchasing Inc., IE Harbor Freight:
http://www.akama.com/company/Central...ae0ce5782.html
Maybe you can call them for info? bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo

Last edited by woodnthings; 02-16-2011 at 08:39 PM.
post #5 of 36 Old 02-16-2011, 07:01 PM

View kurt308's Photo Album My Photos
Hi greg4269ub,

I have the same 16" auto planer and have the same problems you described with the one you purchased. I was wondering if you had any luck with obtaining parts in hopes you might be able to help me out. I have done a bit of searching for parts but no luck so far; your my best hope. I can get my hands on a the 20 pager operation manual if your interested, thanks.
post #6 of 36 Old 02-17-2011, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

sorry to dissapoint but I could not find parts. The parts that I determined were bad I had to take to a local machine shop and have new ones made. I took the bearings as well and they were able to use a stronger steel to replicate the needed part. when i put it back together I still had the same problem. found out that all the head stock assembly is put together and held in place by set screws. I replaced all the set screws and set the in/out feed rollers and leveled the cutter head parallel to the bed. The problem is way better however it still gets over loaded easily and will spit and sputter on the way thru but never has bad snipe(very little or none at all) or sever mill marks of any kind (just a little chatter marks). I only have a few knicks in the blads i need to address with a sharpening. good luck i hope i was able to help a bit. I have the manual it was the easiest part of the puzzle and best of all it is free from harbor freight in an email.

post #7 of 36 Old 03-03-2012, 09:34 AM

View RayGa's Photo Album My Photos
I have an HF T-39775 16" planer that my son bought for me as gift in 1999. I've never had the time to open the shipping crate or a place to put it in my garage until 03-02-12 (I finally retired). HF informed me it was discontinued, no parts available and could not tell me the manufacturer of the unit.

My question is: Is it worth my time and effort to set this machine up and use it? From what I've read about HF is some of their w/working equipment is of poor quality.

I appreciate any comments or advice anyone could give me about this unit.

Thanks,

Ray in Georgia
post #8 of 36 Old 03-03-2012, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Hey ray welcome aboard! I still have my planer and use it often. It is due for a knife change but other than that it does everything i ask of it. I made some modifications to the dust collecting hood over the winter and finally converted it to 220V which has been a great improvement. I am looking to upgrade to a machine with a spiral cutterhead because this one has no aftermarket parts that i could ever find. I did have to get a part made one time and it was a bit pricy. I think some where around $125 to get one of the drive roller shafts because it had been bent somehow by the previous owner. One thing mine does when i take to deep of a cut is it will kinda jam or stop feeding may be a better description. I have learned to live with that quirk but would be interested to see if a new one did the same thing. If i were in your shoes i would use it at least for a while and see if you get the results you are looking for from a planer. I have been able to max out the width on mine with no problems. Good luck if there is anything i can further assist with let me know

post #9 of 36 Old 03-03-2012, 11:15 AM

View RayGa's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll give it a try. Do you know if replacement knives are available? also, if anyone needs a copy of the operation manual I can scan it and e mail it.

Thanks again,

Ra,y in Georgia
post #10 of 36 Old 03-03-2012, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

When i bought mine i was given an extra set. They can be resharpened so i have never needed to buy new ones. it takes 2 knives i was given a set of three i would suspect you can find them out there somewhere just not sure where

The Following User Says Thank You to greg4269ub For This Useful Post:
RayGa (03-03-2012)
post #11 of 36 Old 04-30-2013, 02:26 AM

View Garry0825's Photo Album My Photos
16" planer

Greg
I have this model planer that I need parts for, I was told by Harbor frt. that they are no longer made and that parts are not a viable for this unit. I also have a parts book for it. If you need a copy of it let me know. Also if you are interested in selling your planer let me know.

Have a Great Day
post #12 of 36 Old 04-30-2013, 11:05 AM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Pictures posted are identical to the planer I have, except mine doesn't have the HF logo. You might want to check the small chain sprockets (chain without the idler). On mine the chain would occasionally jump off the sprocket - discovered one sprocket was installed backwards causing the chain to run at an angle. Reversed it and chain hasn't jumped off since.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0932a.jpg
Views:	1256
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	69647  

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
post #13 of 36 Old 05-11-2014, 01:02 PM

Update:

I found the original part number -1AMA1POS0.

I've put the damn chain back on 4 times now. The second time it came off, I noticed the rh sprocket was on backwards, fixed that. Today for the 5th time it jumped off again. I made a new arm for the idler that's longer than the original, figuring the original didn't take enough slack out.

No dice, second board it jumped off again. (Last picture). One damn dumb engineer who put the idler on the drive side of the chain instead of on the slack side. Not sure how, but I've got to try to get the idler on the bottom of the chain, not the top. (Chain rotates CCW).

Did I mention it's a challenge to get the chain back on?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pos1.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	94776  

Name:	pos2.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	94777  

Name:	pos3.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	94778  

Name:	pos4.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	94779  

post #14 of 36 Old 05-11-2014, 01:51 PM
where's my table saw?

maybe...

Maybe you have 1 too many links in the chain? If there is too much slack as is, see if you can remove one link.and reassemble it in place with the connector link. Just a hunch I have from seeing the photo...

post #15 of 36 Old 05-11-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Maybe you have 1 too many links in the chain? If there is too much slack as is, see if you can remove one link.and reassemble it in place with the connector link. Just a hunch I have from seeing the photo...
Would you believe no master link? Last resort was to remove the chain, de-rivet it, and replace one link with a half link. Also have to replace another link with a master link. That's after I determine what roller chain size I have. Probably a bastard size like everything else about the planer.

post #16 of 36 Old 05-21-2014, 10:20 PM

Update on the chain - must be metric, a standard #35 has wider rollers and shorter distance between links, a #40 is too big and wide.

post #17 of 36 Old 11-17-2014, 08:00 PM

View fatcattuff's Photo Album My Photos
looking for owners manual

Our church had donated to it a Central Machinery 16" auto planer, model T-39775.
It did not come with a owners manual.
would someone have a copy they could email or send in some way?
Thanks
post #18 of 36 Old 11-17-2014, 08:31 PM
where's my table saw?

I don't understand

There are several posts here for owner's manuals. They won't do you any good on a discontinued planer, no parts are available and the operation is dirt simple. Adjust the height until it starts to cut then the board will self feed through it.

If it won't feed and there are bed rollers, go to www.Grizzly.com and download a manual PDF for a 15" or 20" planer and use those dimensions to set the roller heights.OR wtach the videos on Grizzly site for adjustment and setup.

post #19 of 36 Old 01-27-2015, 10:58 AM

View Kirkpat97@hotmail.co's Photo Album My Photos
Central machinery 16" x 8" planer manual

Greg,

I just purchased the 16" planer that came with the manual. My model is different than yours, but the manual does not specify a model # anywhere. I believe that this is simply a generic manual for all of their (central machinery) 16" models. If you (or anyone else) still need the manual, I will be happy to scan it and send a pdf.

Jamie
post #20 of 36 Old 01-27-2015, 04:34 PM

View Fastback's Photo Album My Photos
Looking at the pictures I also think the chain is a bit long. There's really is not a lot to adjust on that planer as far as the chain goes. I think that the motor size is a bit small for a 16 inch blade. Most 15 inch models have a 3 hp, 2 hp would work better on a 12 inch unit, just my opinion.

Paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode