14" import bandsaw for $60 - worth it? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 02-15-2017, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

View desertsp's Photo Album My Photos
Question 14" import bandsaw for $60 - worth it?

Spotted a Fairbanks Ward 14" bandsaw on CL today. A Delta knockoff. Seller is asking $60 and says it needs a tune-up.

https://madison.craigslist.org/tls/6004645426.html

After some internet sleuthing, it turns out that it was sold at auction five years ago for $165.

http://smithauctions.hibid.com/lot/5...ting-band-saw/

Anyone have a gut reaction as far as this being a good deal (or not)?

I would like something that I can eventually upgrade for re-sawing with a riser block. The real vintage Deltas seem to go for $500+ in my area which is why this one is so tempting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-15-2017, 05:59 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
I would buy it if I needed a bandsaw, you might not be able to get parts for it from the original importer, but you might be able to get parts from Grizzly, most of that stuff is made about the same

I have gotten parts for other people's machines from Grizzly and they were the exact same part
post #3 of 5 Old 02-15-2017, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

View desertsp's Photo Album My Photos
Damn...someone already got it. The ad up for less than four hours!

Thank you for responding though. I didn't realize parts were interchangeable - that's good to know!

post #4 of 5 Old 02-15-2017, 07:06 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsp View Post
Damn...someone already got it. The ad up for less than four hours!

Thank you for responding though. I didn't realize parts were interchangeable - that's good to know!
With the link gone I was hoping you got it. Oh well.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-18-2017, 08:21 AM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
The early woodworker get the tool. After reading about woodworking machines here, and looking at pictures, you eventually are able to look at a used machine and realize if it is worth having.
I bought a used Rockwell 13" planer at a yard sale for $100. I knew nothing about this model, but could tell it was well built. No plastic parts was a clue! It ran and sounded good. Just a bit of rust. Cleaned it up, adjusted it, and it cuts great with no snipe.

When buying any bs, be sure to check the guide assembly, and the table trunions. Both fairly fragile parts, that can get destroyed in moving a saw.

If you see an ad for something you are interested in, call asap, and tell the seller you want to buy it, and arrange a time to pick it up. I always tell the seller I am coming quite a distance, (even if it's 20 miles away) and just want to be sure it will not be shown or sold before I get there. Been there. Done that.
Then in the time you have before picking it up, research it if you have to. I like to go and pick up asap. Some people can't resist a higher offer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode