14" Delta Band Saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 38 Old 01-11-2012, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

View Jag-v8's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs down 14" Delta Band Saw

If you are thinking about a 14" Delta Band Saw here are some points to consider, Models # 28-206 & 28-276 are basically the same saw, just different bases. The trunnions are made of pot metal, only the trunnion base which is mounted to the frame is cast iron, the trunnions on the table are less than 1/16" thick in most places, SHATTERS like glass if any pressure is applied, machine vibrates, doors pop open by themselves. Fit and quality is poor, adjustments are poor, it is no wonder that Delta has been bought out... 1/17/ 12 : Stanley Black & Decker has sold the Delta brand to a Taiwanese company, Chang Type Industrial Co., Ltd., which makes power tools for a number of well-known companies. So the name you may have trusted for years is now a cheap knock off. The Chinese don't care about quality, our rep who oversees quality on our companies castings made in China and travels there monthly to try to control quality, he says they consider making 1000 pieces and scrapping 900 to get 100 parts is satisfactory. Two friends who worked as quality control at Stanley says a scrap rate here on incoming parts is 50%, but still cheaper than making it here. Wake up America, until you start demanding quality over $'s you will continue to get CRAP from Asia. Do yourself a favor, find a old Delta made in the USA and buy it and rebuild it, as long as all it needs is bearings and motor. Any parts you need from Delta may be unavaliable. But if you can get an old one made in the USA, buy it you will have a GEM!

Last edited by Jag-v8; 01-11-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 01-11-2012, 11:42 AM

View Taylormade's Photo Album My Photos
1950 baby.

Ut Prosim
post #3 of 38 Old 01-11-2012, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Bandsaw Delta.

Nice wish I had it instead of this Chinese crap
post #4 of 38 Old 01-11-2012, 12:41 PM
I hate tools

View cocheseuga's Photo Album My Photos
Ok. .
post #5 of 38 Old 01-11-2012, 12:49 PM

By the way, this is kind of old news... the sale went through a year ago didn't it? The CEO of the new company used to run the company that makes Milwaukee, Ryobi, Rigid and a few others. This stuff (Delta, Porter Cable, DeWalt, etc) has been made over in China for quite some time now... nothing new there. The parts SHOULD be cheaper and more readily available with it made over there. Weird that you can't get it now.

Ut Prosim
post #6 of 38 Old 01-11-2012, 01:24 PM

View CJWillie's Photo Album My Photos
I found a 1956 Delta and restored it. Great saw, made in USA.
Attached Images

post #7 of 38 Old 01-11-2012, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Delta sold

Not old news here is what is posted today....1/17/ 12 : Stanley Black & Decker has sold the Delta brand to a Taiwanese company, Chang Type Industrial Co., Ltd., ..................... etc
post #8 of 38 Old 01-11-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag-v8 View Post
Not old news here is what is posted today....1/17/ 12 : Stanley Black & Decker has sold the Delta brand to a Taiwanese company, Chang Type Industrial Co., Ltd., ..................... etc
Where is this posted? I mean besides here, when you posted it? It's not even Jan 17th 2012 yet. Are you coming back from the future to warn us of evil things to come?

This sale happened over a year ago.

Here's another reference to it.

Wanna get even further confused? Read this.

They're an American (South Carolina) based company who gets their product from China... just like everyone else.

Ut Prosim
The Following User Says Thank You to Taylormade For This Useful Post:
cocheseuga (01-11-2012)
post #9 of 38 Old 01-11-2012, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Sale

I went to Deltas website this AM that quote is a direct copy from their site, when I called called their parts service yesterday I was told by the parts service person that Delta had been sold and no parts could be shipped until the new owner got their own ware house open, they said it would be about a month before my parts could be shipped. So if the sale was completed a year ago they sure are taking a long time toset up their ware house.
post #10 of 38 Old 01-11-2012, 11:24 PM

From the same website... for what it's worth, I couldn't find that quote anywhere on their site. Did you call ServiceNet? It may be worthwhile to talk to someone else... perhaps try my local DeWalt dealer at (813) 884-0434. The people there know their stuff.

Ut Prosim
post #11 of 38 Old 01-12-2012, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Delta Sale

I stand corrected, it was "Fine Woodworkings site.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/14-delta-band-saw-34125/#post284089

and it showed as you can see ... Updated 1/17: Stanley Black & Decker has sold the Delta brand, how ever yesterday when I copied and pasted it, some how the date was changed the date to 1/17/12, (I was having serious problems yesterday with "Explorer" after an automatic Microsoft update overnight) I did not do that, that is where my confusion came from, I thought it was the Delta site in recalling it as I visited MANY sites trying to find out about the sale that the parts rep had told me about the day before. What cemented my belief that it was recent was that the Delta parts customer Service person told me my parts order would not ship for at least a month, because the "new" owner would not ship any parts until they established their own ware house. Again if this sale is a year old why haven't they established their own ware house yet? Again the new owner is a Chinese company and they are moving the headquarters, if this is old news (and it is a year old) what is taking them so long to make the move and changes?
post #12 of 38 Old 01-12-2012, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

They're an American (South Carolina) based company who gets their product from China... just like everyone else.[/QUOTE]

No they are not an American company they are a Taiwanese company, Chang Type Industrial Co., Ltd., which makes power tools for a number of well-known brands, including Craftsman, DeWalt, Ryobi, and Black & Decker. The new company has been renamed Delta Power Equipment Corp.
post #13 of 38 Old 01-12-2012, 09:29 AM
I hate tools

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Machinery

Quote:
Chang Type is moving Delta's production tooling from a Stanley Black & Decker owned facility in Jackson, Tennessee to a facility in Anderson County, South Carolina.
post #14 of 38 Old 01-12-2012, 10:09 AM

Jag, obviously you're having a bad experience with Delta. That stinks and I feel your pain. I've had run ins with companies that I held in high regard, only to be let down, so I understand your frustration. Most people saw moving Delta and Biesemeyer away from Black and Decker as a good thing. They opened up a new facility in the US, created US jobs, and kept their quality high. The lower quality stuff that Delta had been making under B&D was rebranded as the Porter Cable you see in Lowes now and that's where PC has been catching a ton of flak over quality issues. Perhaps you got one of the Deltas was was still in that "iffy" phase where they didn't know who they wanted to be.

I've had to order parts for my Delta machines in the past and I used the number I gave you above. They've been fantastic to work with and haven't ever let me down.

Best of luck in getting this resolved!

Ut Prosim
post #15 of 38 Old 01-12-2012, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Menards

I was in Menards yesterday and looked at their "Master Force" brand band saw, evidentially made by the same company in Taiwan as Delta, looked very much the same, BUT much cheaper than the Delta EXCEPT the trunnions were 10 times better than the Delta, if I ever get the trunnions I ordered from Delta and they are the same cheap Asian crap as the ones that broke, I will send them back and order from the "Master Force" parts place. In the mean time I need to use this band saw, and can't wait for the new owners to decide to ship, so I made some solid oak trunnions, which fit well, the table is level and SOLID! I could have spent more time making them and made them able to tilt, but in all of the years of using a bandsaw, NEVER tilted the table or needed to, Not to say that day may come. if so, a few hours work and MY trunnions will tilt.
The attached pictures shows one of the oak trunnions, the table remounted, how level it is and a shot of the shattered old original trunnions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP6812 for net.jpg
Views:	809
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	35451  

Name:	IMGP6819 for the net.jpg
Views:	1014
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	35452  

Name:	IMGP6821 for the net.jpg
Views:	818
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	35453  

Name:	IMGP6814 for the web.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	35454  

post #16 of 38 Old 01-12-2012, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs down

[They opened up a new facility in the US, created US jobs, and kept their quality high. ThQUOTE]

No what they did as do most Chinese companies do, is closed the old location moved to a new location, forcing old employees to relocate or find other employment, there by not having to continue paying someone a wage with all of the increases they achieved over the years, and got out from under medical and pension dollars. What they are trying to do is lower the American wage to their wage of 25 cents a day or work as slave labor, only then will we be able to compete with them and bring manufacturing back to the USA. America needs to quit buying Chinese crap and DEMAND quality.
post #17 of 38 Old 01-12-2012, 11:19 AM

View Stevedore's Photo Album My Photos
Mine was made in 1946, a few weeks before I was born. I'm sure it will outlast me.

It was a real find: Saw the top sticking up behind a dumpster at a local place that makes artificial limbs. They had replaced it because the shaft bearings had gone bad, and told me I was welcome to take it. It has a cast iron base, and the metal cutting gearbox option (which I'll never use). All it needed was about $100 in parts, including the bearings & a few parts they kept as spares for the new one.
post #18 of 38 Old 01-12-2012, 11:36 AM

Americans, at large, WANT quality, but don't want to pay for it. This extends way past machinery. Americans want "good enough" at cheap prices. See Wal-Mart, see McDonalds, see everywhere around you. Dozens of members here can attest to giving someone a quote for a piece of furniture and having them scoff and talk about how they can get it cheaper at Wal-Mart... or Costco, or Sams, or....

Here's clippings from another article on finewoodworking.com. The entire piece can be found here.

The new, independent company, Delta Power Equipment Corporation, will be based in Anderson County, South Carolina and led by Bryan Whiffen, who has been named President & Chief Executive Officer.

In terms of manufacturing, there are no major changes afoot. Delta has long been known for making many of its tools here in the United States. But some tools and parts are made overseas. So far, according to Whiffen, that plan will not change. “Tools made in the U.S. will continue to be made here.” But, he says, “outsourced tools will be made in the same factories as well.” The corporate headquarters will be moved to Anderson, S.C.

The new Delta company will continue to provide a complete line of professional woodworking equipment and machinery, and will continue to build the world-class Unisaw, as well as the Biesemeyer® accessories, in the United States. Plans are to move the manufacturing equipment from Jackson, Tennessee to the company’s facility in Anderson. Once fully operational, the Anderson facility will include manufacturing, R&D, engineering, sales and administrative functions.

This means your bandsaw has been built with Chinese parts since 2005, when Black and Decker acquired the company.

Ut Prosim
post #19 of 38 Old 01-12-2012, 11:44 AM
I hate tools

I'm sure the jobs created in Anderson were appreciated. Jobs are created, jobs are lost, jobs are moved, it's not a 'Chinese' thing, it's an economics thing.

As far as I can tell, Stanley B&D still operates the Jackson, TN location.
post #20 of 38 Old 01-12-2012, 01:05 PM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
Jag-V8, Do you have a link to a parts list or a place to buy parts for the Master Force band saw?
Google didn't show anything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode