10" DeWalt Miter saw-blade removal problem - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 02-29-2008, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Art

View Art's Photo Album My Photos
Unhappy 10" DeWalt Miter saw-blade removal problem

I have a DW703 and the blade housing blocks the removal of the blade retaing bolt. The manual shows the bolt below the housing, but on mine the bolt backs out into the blade housing and does not allow for removal of the blade. The housing appears fixed and does not move. Anyone else have this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-01-2008, 02:53 AM

View BlockHead's Photo Album My Photos
I had the DW703 some time ago and I know I changed the blade because I was using a Freud Diablo, but I don't especially remember that particular issue. I think if there is enough room to back the bolt out, it shouldn't be a problem. Annoying, yes, but as long as you can change the blade is what matters most.

~ BlockHead ~
================================================== ========

I went and bought myself a bunch of woodworking machines. What now?

http://www.AWorkOfWood.com
post #3 of 17 Old 03-02-2008, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Art

10" DeWalt Miter saw-blade removal problem

I left it for awhile. I will go back and try it again later. The bolt is backed out against the housing and had not cleared the the hole or the blade.
post #4 of 17 Old 03-06-2008, 06:08 PM

View vinnyb76's Photo Album My Photos
you might not have the right manual with your saw try this link and download this manual.

10" DeWalt Miter saw-blade removal problem-saw.jpg
The Following User Says Thank You to vinnyb76 For This Useful Post:
Jack212 (08-29-2015)
post #5 of 17 Old 03-07-2008, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Art

This manual also shows the blade retaing screw below the guard, mine is behind the guard and the guard blocks the removal of the screw. Isn't that wierd!!
post #6 of 17 Old 03-07-2008, 10:19 AM

the pic shows the screw under the guard because the screw(B on the pic)has been undone and the guard at the side of the blade as been lifted to expose the retaining screw,you have to lift the black blade cover first to get to it(fig A in pic).
post #7 of 17 Old 03-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Suz

View Suz's Photo Album My Photos
On my 12 inch DeWalt CMS I have to first unplug the unit, then lower the unit and lock it into position. Then lift up on the blade guard and you will see a screw on the left side of the saw. Loosen this screw until it passes the lip. Then you can lift the whole guard mechanism up and expose the blade bolt.
Maybe your 10 inch is the same, check it out for a screw on the left side of the blade guard.

If you want I could post a picture of the screw I'm talking about.

Jim
post #8 of 17 Old 03-07-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
On my 12 inch DeWalt CMS I have to first unplug the unit, then lower the unit and lock it into position. Then lift up on the blade guard and you will see a screw on the left side of the saw. Loosen this screw until it passes the lip. Then you can lift the whole guard mechanism up and expose the blade bolt.
Maybe your 10 inch is the same, check it out for a screw on the left side of the blade guard.

If you want I could post a picture of the screw I'm talking about.
could`nt of put it better myself although i think you have to keep the unit up on his model.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-08-2008, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Art

OK, I tried again, the housing (that holds the guard spring mechanism) blocks the screw from backing all the way out. I srcrewed it in and tried to back it out again and repeated the process several times. I don't see any other screw on the left side of the saw. I tried to attach a couple of pictures. I may have to take it to a DeWalt service center.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 001.jpg
Views:	3569
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	2577  

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	2578  

post #10 of 17 Old 03-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Suz

View Suz's Photo Album My Photos
Okay, if you push up on the blade guard just at the point of the slot for the screw should pass by that screw head on the upper right corner of your picture and expose the head of the blade bolt. You might have to push in on the white colored metal next to the screw head to allow the slot to pass by the screw head.
What I do with my blade guard is set it on that screw head to hold the guard out of my way to work on the blade bolt.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture%20001.jpg
Views:	7729
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	2593  

Jim

Last edited by Suz; 03-09-2008 at 08:55 AM.
post #11 of 17 Old 03-09-2008, 06:13 PM

10" DeWalt Miter saw-blade removal problem-untitled.jpg

undo this screw far enough so you can lift the cover then you will expose the blade bolt
post #12 of 17 Old 03-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
Did you ever get the blade changed?

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #13 of 17 Old 03-10-2008, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Art

My thanks to vinnyb76 and Suz for the much needed help on this problem. I needed to remove the blade guard actuating arm and loosen the other screw on the blade guard retractor housing (with the blade guard down) and like Suz said the housing sprang back to expose the blade screw! A few more steps than the manual called for!! Now I can get the blade off easily. Thanks again for all your help.
post #14 of 17 Old 08-29-2015, 08:08 PM

View Jack212's Photo Album My Photos
One missing instruction (as always)

You also need to push the hold button when trying to raise the flange out of the way. Discovered this by experimenting (OK, by using frustrated alternate methods -- the key to learning ).

Instructions at:
http://www.dewalt.com/DWAssets/engli...saw_safety.pdf

Last edited by Jack212; 08-29-2015 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Adding helpful link
post #15 of 17 Old 08-29-2015, 08:11 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
did you see the date on the last post.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack212 View Post
You also need to push the hold button when trying to raise the flange out of the way. Discovered this by experimenting (OK, by using frustrated alternate methods -- the key to learning ).

This thread was last posted in 2008. your answer is too late.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
post #16 of 17 Old 08-30-2015, 05:05 PM

View Jack212's Photo Album My Photos
Modern Update

Yes, I saw the 2008. However, I experienced the same issue on 08/29/2015. So, I thought I would add the extra detail that I had to figure out. So, if someone still has the DW703, I figure the update is still useful. Cheers,
post #17 of 17 Old 05-03-2016, 03:29 PM

View Joe L's Photo Album My Photos
10" DeWalt Miter saw-blade removal problem Reply to Thread

I just purchased the DW713 10" Miter Saw and had the same issue of not clearing the metallic housing with the blade retaining screw. Called the 800 # for Dewalt and after waiting twenty minutes listening to them wanting my opinion on their customer service the recording said they could not help me at this time. So, the manual is a POS, the service support is a POS, however, I called the guys at Home Depot and together we figured out that if you back the "guard bracket screw" out enough the metallic housing can be moved out of the way. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode