10 or 12 inch miter saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 09-20-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

View Woodworkingkid's Photo Album My Photos
10 or 12 inch miter saw

So I have been looking at getting a new miter saw and I am trying to decide between the dewalt 10 in sliding and the dewalt 12 inch sliding miter saw. I am leaning towards the 12 because it is only 25 more. But I have hear about 12 in miters saws not being as accurate as 10 inch ones. The other thing I was concerned about is how much more do blades cost in 12 instead of 10.also is there a better choice than the dewalt in the 500 and under range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-20-2011, 06:06 PM
No Longer Here

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
While it's definitely possible to get accurate cuts from a sliding miter saw, it's not what I'd consider the most accurate method of crosscuts due to the nature of the design and construction the things, with their long cantilevered guide tubes. Because I typically consider a SCMS to be a carpentry level tool as opposed to a fine woodworking tool, I'd be inclined to opt for the additional capacity, which does tend to cost a bit more.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-20-2011, 06:08 PM

View klr650's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know anything about which is better, worse, or cheaper. What I do know is that I really wish I'd gotten a 12" saw over the 10" that I have now. A 12" saw gives you the ability to cut 6x6 without flipping. That might not seem important, but it's partly the reason why I'm leaning towards getting a RAS and doing away with my mitre saw altogether.

Rob

"Sometimes I lie awake at night and wonder - what have I done wrong. And then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.'"
-Charley Brown
post #4 of 11 Old 09-20-2011, 06:09 PM

View klr650's Photo Album My Photos
A note: For precision - use a mitre box. I use my mitre saw for cutting lumber, not hardwoods.

Rob

"Sometimes I lie awake at night and wonder - what have I done wrong. And then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.'"
-Charley Brown
post #5 of 11 Old 09-20-2011, 06:13 PM
No Longer Here

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
ps.: Saw blade prices can vary by a lot depending on the particular sales that are going on, but I'd expect to pay $10-$30 more for a 12" vs 10" on a comparable blade. I would suggest sticking with a full kerf blade if you opt for the 12" saw...more chance of deflection with the larger span.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-20-2011, 06:15 PM
Cat Herder

View ChiknNutz's Photo Album My Photos
I have a 12" CMS (non-sliding). I originally got it to build a deck, and needed the extra capacity that the 12" offers. I personally would be PO'd by the limitations of anything smaller, but that's been my experience and, of course, YMMV. Perhaps the sliders aren't as precise, but I use my CMS for nearly ALL crosscuts (that it can accommodate of course) and it's accuracy is completely acceptable for everything I've used it for so far, but I have not tried for ultra-precision yet. I do have a Wixey digital protractor and recently used it to precisely fine-tune the saw. It's now dialed in pretty nuts-on, so not sure why I would need to use any other method for the sizes it can handle.

Chris A.
Live a life worth celebrating!

Ridgid R4512 Table Saw, 12" Compound Miter Saw, EB4424 Oscillating Sander, R4330 Planer | Bosch 1617EVSPK Router, 1591EVSL Jigsaw, PB360S Power Box | JDS Air-Tech HP air cleaner | Rikon 70-050VS Mini Lathe | Supermax 25-50 Drum Sander | Grizzly 14" bandsaw (Laguna LT14 clone), G1061Z 1HP Buffer | ShopFox Cyclone DC
post #7 of 11 Old 09-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
I started with a 10" and the capacity limitation forced me into a 12". I don't use a miter saw for anything that needs extreme accuracy though. And even then the SCMS CAN and DOES do accurate miters, I wouldn't hesitate to use it for picture frames or what not... And my slider is a Chicago Electric cheapie from Harbor Freight... You should expect excellent results from that DeWalt. Blades typically are a few dollars more for comparable blades... I think for example the Diablo D1080X is $49.97 and the D1280X (12") is $54.97. (The D1280X is what Freud recommended for my 12")...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #8 of 11 Old 09-22-2011, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

View Woodworkingkid's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the advice. It looks like I will have to go with a ten because none of the in store prices match the online price. Online the 12 inch slider is 500 in stores it is 600 and it is out of stock on lowes website. But the 10 can still cross cut a 14 inch wide board. I took a look at the Hitachi that they have for 399 but it is way to big and seems like a big thing of cheap plastic.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-22-2011, 07:10 PM
sawdust maker

View woody woodturner's Photo Album My Photos
thats a sign that 12inch saws sell better and you can cut a 10 inch board on a 12inch saw and cut deeper

Old wood workers never die thay just get dry rot
post #10 of 11 Old 09-22-2011, 07:13 PM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
A couple years ago I was torturing myself over a similar decision: 10" vs. 12", but I was purchasing a standard miter saw and not a slider (I have a RAS for long crosscuts). I finally ended up with a 10" Ridgid as I saw from several sources that a 12" blade just isn't as stable as a 10" for accurate miter cuts. Since my usual projects involve smaller furniture, the accuracy was important to me so I went with the 10" and have never regretted my choice.

Bill
post #11 of 11 Old 09-23-2011, 11:09 AM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
On the accuracy thing. I have noticed that yes, the 12" blade CAN flex and leave the cut not exactly where you want it. It does this when just zipping down and ramming the blade through the work piece. I noticed this and slowed the cut to allow the blade to do the work, and no problems at all... This behavior is most noticeable on bevel cuts... I CAN reproduce the same effect with a 10" just not as easily...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode