old vise installation instructions - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 11-01-2006, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

View Splinter John's Photo Album My Photos
old vise installation instructions

I have a Columbian (brand name) 7 RD wood vise made in Cleveland. The vise opening is seven inches wide X four inches high X nine inch deep capacity. The manufacturer is out of business. No dot-com address. I'm going to build a work bench to which I would like to attach this vise. I need to know how to frame the edge or construct the work surface to properly mount the vise so the top edge of the vise is flush with the work surface. The rear vise face has two holes for wood screws. The underside has two slotted mounting holes probably for lag bolts.

Would there be a website from which I may download the manufacturer's original mounting instructions. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-02-2013, 01:25 AM

View Kodiak's Photo Album My Photos
I have an OLD corner vise by Wilton. I am about to build a bench. I am right handed. I intend that the bench will double as a runoff table for my saw. Any advice would be appreciated.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-02-2013, 09:51 AM
amateur

View Greg in Maryland's Photo Album My Photos
I doubt that you will find instructions. However, if you post pictures we might be able to help.

For my workbench vise, all I did was screw the entire vise to the underside of the workbench. I did create a pocket for one of the faces to slide into and then put a end cap over it (and the end of the bench). I then added a chop to the sliding face of the vise and I was done.

greg

If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.
Isaac Newton
post #4 of 4 Old 04-02-2013, 10:14 AM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
I have an OLD corner vise by Wilton. I am about to build a bench. I am right handed. I intend that the bench will double as a runoff table for my saw. Any advice would be appreciated.
I've not heard of a corner vise, can you post a picture of the vise? Did you consider checking with places like Lee Valley and Highland to see if they sell any similar vises that you may be able to get instructions for?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode