Woodworking Talk banner

Looking for Pipe clamps with a deep throat

8K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Gerry KIERNAN 
#1 ·
Anyone point me in the right direstion? All my usual sources are the small version. I need to find some that have an 8 - 10" depth. Just need the clamps, I can find pipe locally.

#2 ·
Hi Shamus
Well I would start with woodcraft.com or rockler.com. They seem to have all the clamps possibly made it seems. But if I am correct I don't think they make the pipe clamps that deep. I know I have seen bar clamps with the deep throat. But that would be a good place to start. Grizzlyindustrial.com is another place to check.

Good luck

John

#4 ·
Gentlemen, thank you for the reply.

I think an 8" + depth for a pipe clamp is not findable. At least not by me. I might try the standard short metal clamps and weld a steel face plate 10" in length. I'm just concerned about parallel. Maybe shim out on the end to square things up if needed.

Again, thanks for the help.

#7 ·
I'm with Gerry on this one... I've not seen anything that I would think needed an 8-10 in deep pipe clamp like you're describing. I would think there is a better alternative to what you are looking for. Clamps like you are suggesting would not have consistant pressure up and down the face.

So, let us in on what you are trying to do and maybe we can give you some alternatives for gluing up...

#8 ·
I'm doing a "restoration to original" on the base of 15, 14" round porch columns. The base is 18" Sq. with 45 mitered corners and 3 1/2" tall. On top of that is a turned (round) that is 16" with a detail edge and 2" tall, mitered as well to match the Sq. of the base. These are white oak. This base supports the shell of the column. In the inside of the column is a 6X6 stand alone that supports most of the roof weight of the porch. If that makes sence....
I want to glue up and clamp the base together around the column. Two clamps per column would be easier to bring all 4 sides in with less chance of misaligning. This is a very tight slip fit under the column. No way to raise the roof for clearance.

Rather than tie-up 60 clamps or 30 if I do half now, I wanted to purchase a couple dozen of the deeper throat versions. I do a considerable amount of furniture restoration and a deeper throat would always come in handy.

I'm one of those guys that can't pass up a clamp at a sale so I know I'd always use them.

mmtools, I started looking for the Jorgensen clamps. Thanks for the direction.

#12 ·
Good suggestions but....

Our last post from Shamus on this was over a year ago!
:yes: bill
09-03-2008, 08:21 PM #8 Shamus

My Photos

#13 ·
A year ago for sure but I'm still around. :thumbsup:

I ended up using a ratcheting tie down strap with a wood block on each of the 4 sides. I used a hammer to tap in each of the 4 miterd sides as I tightened the ratchet. It brought everything together nice and square and actually worked really well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.