How To Sharpen Mill Files And Rasps - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 07-09-2008, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Old School
View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
How To Sharpen Mill Files And Rasps

I use mill files on wood, plastic laminate, veneers and metal laminates. File cards and stiff brushes are the common methods for cleaning files but in no way will they sharpen them.

After I had a stash of a coupla dozen I had a brainstorm of cleaning them in a bath of muriatic acid (just the ordinary pool type). I used a plastic tray with sides, and set the files in on edge and let 'em soak. Well, when I finally pulled them out, they were clean alright, and were sharper.

I must say that this is an incredibly hazardous method, as the acids emits toxic fumes and more so when the acid was added to the files. If tried it should be done outside, away from the house or shop. Appropriate gloves, arm and face protection should be used. Proper disposal of the used bath should taken as with any hazardous material.

It won't make them like new, but will give some new life.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 Old 07-24-2008, 02:08 AM
View hsmyers's Photo Album My Photos
Your almost extinct silversmith will tell you that this is a task that you farm out the experts who do this kind of thing. Result comes back pretty much a sharp as day one sealed in a plastic wrap. Use to do this as soon as I found any build up I couldn't brush away. Trick is to have enough overlap so that you don't have to stop work while you wait. Find a local jeweler/smith who actually still makes things and inquire about who s/he uses for this...

p.s. you aren't using the same file on more than one kind of material like wood and metal are you? If so, don't.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode