Woodworking Talk banner

Home made shoulder plane

6K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Brink 
#1 ·
When I decided to use mortis and tenon joints, I could adjust the fit using a chisel to pare away the excess. Then I built a window bench with 70 some joints. I decided I couldn't live without a shoulder plane. They're hard to find in the flea markets and antique stores and being frugal (cheap), I wasn't going to buy new.

So here's what I came up with.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Great Idea!

And totally simple to make. I'm thinkin' hacksaw and some files and grind down the width of a wider plane iron. I think I see notches. But like the man said "how you do that?" :blink: bill

#10 · (Edited)
I know this is an old thread, but I was doing a search for 'Shoulder Plane' and I came across this.

Does it matter what number (No. 4,etc) of plane that you use?
If it does, what numbers should I look for?

Thanks

P.S. I had a chance to buy a No. 110 for $10, but the guy is out of town now.
Would that have worked?

Also it was supposedly an 'antique'. Would it be sacrilidge (sp?) to convert that one?

#11 ·
djg said:
I know this is an old thread, but I was doing a search for 'Shoulder Plane' and I came across this.

Does it matter what number (No. 4,etc) of plane that you use?
If it does, what numbers should I look for?

Thanks

P.S. I had a chance to buy a No. 110 for $10, but the guy is out of town now.
Would that have worked?

Also it was supposedly an 'antique'. Would it be sacrilidge (sp?) to convert that one?
I guess a 4 could be made into a rabbet plane with a wider blade. Would look like a #10

If you look around, #78's are plentiful, can be $35-$75.

As for a 110, they can be 30-100 years old.. I don't know how easily it could be modified, there's no lever cap, just a tension knob to hold the blade.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.